Friday, August 9, 2013

Alice Cooper, you lied to me!

School may be out for summer, but it most definitely IS NOT out forever!

As you may have guessed, this is about my attempt to go back to school.  Let me start from the beginning...

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away... (cue Star Wars music)

I graduated from high school in 1997.  After graduation, I enrolled at a local community college with intentions of transferring to a university, earning my bachelor's in English, getting my teaching degree, and becoming an English teacher.  Well, sometimes things don't work out quite how you plan it.

The community college I attended was wonderful!  I had awesome professors, small class sizes, and felt really comfortable there.  I finally felt like I belonged.  Then 3 years later (yes, 3 years), I transferred the university I wanted.  When I got there, I was not welcomed with open arms.  I felt little and alone.  I hated it.  Life happened and I only went for only 1 year.  I never returned.  And I have been kicking myself ever since.

I ran out of money to pay for school.  I was absolutely lost.  I had the resources of how to get back on my feet, but never thought to use them.  I figured I could work for a year and go back after I saved some money.  I wanted to do this on my own.  I wanted to prove I was an adult.  One year turned into two... and three... and four... So, 12 years later, here I am.

Going back to earn my degree was one of those "You know, I should really..." or "Next year, I'm going to..." slacker moments.  Until, I finally gave myself the kick in the ass I needed.

One morning, I woke up to gather with a couple of friends to do a 20 mile charity walk.  While doing this walk, we all talked about what we were doing, where we wanted to go, and how we were planning our futures.  It was at that moment I came to the realization that I was tired of being afraid to go after what I want in life.  Damn it, I was going to get off my lazy ass, apply for financial aid, apply (and get accepted) into a school, and earn my bachelor's degree... tomorrow.  That was 4 months ago.

Last week, after much deliberation, I bit the bullet and applied to a local college.  I got accepted and was so excited that I'm finally doing what I set out to do so many years ago.  And let me tell you, I'm terrified!  These kids are going to look at me and probably wonder what the hell I'm doing there.  I will probably think the same thing at some point during this venture.  All I know is that I've earned this.  I've paid my dues and I'm ready to cash in. 

Hopefully when school really is indeed out forever for me, I'll be a happier person.  But until then, let the misery ensue!

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be too scared. The smart kids in school always pick the "old" person to be a study or group partner, because they know that if they are back in school, they are serious about it and will do a good job. You just gotta keep your eyes open for the smart kid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever! You KNOW they only think of you as the chick who can buy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way when I went back to school. If only I had listened to my parents the first time around and gotten the degree I'm going for now. *face palm*

    You'll do fine. Just remember you're there for YOU and no one else.

    ReplyDelete